We have been in the "city" for over a week now. Elsie has adjusted very well to life down here. We have walked a lot down here and she has different reactions to different things. With dogs or people she is either aggressive or frightened (typically of the people).
Choke Chain
Elsie, like when she is brushed and when she gets her toenails clipped, doesn't really like the choke chain. One trainer suggest that you don't use a pinch collar (which has added spikes, our German Shepherds do best with these) as this can cause a Border Collie to avoid training sessions. Elsie is like that with the choke chain.
First point: Create a positive influence. Making this a unpleasant thing doesn't help. Elsie needs now to be trained that the choke chain means you get rewards.
How to do this: The choke chain is only on when she can be promptly rewarded with something. At meal times she wears it and on sessions with some of her favorite dog food. I just jingle the chain around or let it alone for a few minutes. I also make her put it one by making her put her head through it to get treats.
Bath Time
Second bath. Elsie and Poimien were playing outside... she was rolling in the dirt. (As far as playing, I don't know how playful Poimien is actually). So she locked outside, and then I gave her a bath. The new house's bathroom is a lot smaller. It is nice because the water adjusts well and I can change the temp. pretty easily. I use some kind of natural oatmeal mix on her. It works real well and doesn't bother her skin.
I place a towel in the bottom of the tub, so she is more secure. I don't fill the bath tub full of water. It just has a little in the bottom. I wet Elsie's back with a cup full of water, cup at a time. Once she is damp enough, I put about a tablespoon of soap on my hands and rub it on her back. I soap and wet most of her body (definetly excluding her head and ears.) Once she is soaped up enough, I rinse her off with the cup again. Just make sure all the soap is rinsed out. Then I dry her off. Elsie does not take very long to dry. I left the collar of until the next morning.
Crate Training
Elsie has done so super in the kennel lately. She seems to have resigned to being left in the kennel. She still is excited to be let out, though.
I also took a few photos of Elsie. She is much bigger now.
~Western Belle
No comments:
Post a Comment